Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Welcome Joseph Michael!!!!

Joey joined our family Friday, May 8th at 5:30 pm! He weighed 8lbs 7oz, and was 21.5 long. We went into the hospital Thursday night to get a dose of cervadil to help with the induction. I was officially induced Friday morning about 7:30. Joey was being slightly difficult during the day, making it hard for the nurses to find his heartbeat to monitor. I was encouraged to walk around but when I was doing that, I was not able to feel my contractions (which I thought was a good thing :) But since I couldn't feel my contractions, I was not dilating. Finally at 3:45, after Jonathan and Dad had just made a quick trip home, Dr. Campbell came in to check me and told me and Mom that I was not making any progress and that when he touched the baby's head he felt it bouncing. This led him to believe that either his head was too big to fit into the birth canal or it would take an extra long time to drop into position. He wanted to do a c-section- in 45 minutes. I called Jon in tears and he and Dad left the apartment immediately and joined us. Evan, Joy, the boys, Fudge, Ali and Mark would be there shortly so the timing was perfect. They prepped me for surgery and then brought Jonathan in. All I'll say is that the surgery was awful- I was in so much pain. I remember them bringing Joey around the sterile curtain and I could barely see his face through the tears (of joy and pain). Jonathan went and cut the umbilical cord and snapped some first photos for us. After completion, I went to recovery while I waited for what seemed like forever for more numbing medication. I don't really remember holding Joey for the first time. I remember my mom came in first to the post-op and visited for a few minutes, then Joy, Dad, Evan, and Ali, one at a time. They wheeled me back to my room when some more family came in. I was so medicated, I don't remember much from this point on. I had an awesome nurse, Amanda, who took great care of all three of us.

Partially thru Friday night, I was able to get on my side to sleep which was such a relief for me. By Saturday, I physically felt so much better in the morning I was up walking around by the time our visitors arrived. All day Saturday and Sunday we were showered with family and friends coming to meet our latest addition.

We were discharged on Monday and made the 3 mile drive home. Mom, Ali and Mark were there waiting for us. Ali and Mark left on Wednesday and Mom is here until Saturday. Here are a couple of pictures from the first few days. We will be posting some more soon.


We really do appreciate all the prayers and love we've experienced this weekend. We cannot express our thanks enough.










1 comment:

LindseyB said...

What a cutie! Can't wait to see you guys!